Article 1. Membership and Qualifications
1. COA shall consist of the following types of members (“Member(s)”):
· Diamond Member
· Platinum Member
· Corporate Member
· Professional Member
· Honorary Member
2.Diamond Member, Platinum Member and Corporate Member: Ghanaian business entities or organizations which are domiciled in Ghana, either wholly owned or existing through equity participation in joint ventures or such other business entities whose interests as determined by the Executive Council coincide with the interest of the Chamber of Aquaculture Ghana may join COA as Diamond, Platinum and corporate Members. Once admitted as a Member, each Diamond, Platinum and Corporate Member shall elect an individual associated with such Member to the Executive Committee and obtain its approval for him to represent the Member in the General Meetings.
3. Professional Member: An individual residing in Ghana or active player in Ghana’s aquaculture sector and employed by a Ghanaian business entity or organization which is not qualified to be a Diamond, Platinum or Corporate Member may join COA as a Professional Member if their interests, as determined by the Executive Council coincide with the interests of the Chamber of Aquaculture Ghana.
4. Honorary Member: An individual acknowledged by the Executive Council to have made significant contributions to aquaculture sector in Ghana may join COA as an Honorary Member.
Article 2. Admission of Members
A candidate for COA Membership shall apply for admission as a Member by submitting a membership application on a form provided by COA. The membership application shall be brought before the Event and Membership Committee. The Event and Membership Committee may admit the candidate as a Member by a majority vote of the Executives then present, with fifty (50) percent of the Executives constituting a quorum.
However, the Event and Membership Committee may adopt a resolution to defer the decision on admission of Members to the President of the Executive Council by a majority vote of the Executives then present, with fifty (50) percent of the Executives constituting a quorum.
Upon admitting a new Member, the Event and Membership Committee shall post a written notice of admission to the newly admitted Member. The candidate’s payment of the required subscription upon its receipt of the notice of admission constitutes Membership. The subscription for the Membership shall be for a period of 12 months beginning on the day of payment.
Article 3. Termination of Membership
1. Membership is terminated upon the Member’s death, winding up, withdrawal or expulsion.
2. A Diamond Member, Platinum Member, or Corporate Member may replace its Accredited Representative at any time with a replacement Accredited Representative by obtaining a prior written approval from the Event and Membership Committee.
3. A Member may withdraw its membership in COA by submitting a written notice thereof at any time, provided that such election to withdraw shall not affect the Member’s rights and obligations until the end of the fiscal year.
4. A Member may be expelled from COA and its Membership revoked for cause by an Executive Council resolution adopted by a two-thirds (2/3) majority vote among the Executives then present, with fifty (50) percent of the Executives constituting a quorum. The cause for expulsion may include, but not limited to, the following conduct of the subject Member:
· Conduct that contravenes the Stated Purpose of COA.
· Intentional or grossly negligent conduct resulting in material loss or damage to COA.
· Disparagement of COA through slander or defamation.
· Failure to pay subscription obligation for six (6) months or more.
· For any other reasons as acknowledged by the Executive Council.
The Executive Council shall immediately notify the affected Member in writing of such resolution to expel (“Notice of Expulsion”), informing the affected Member of its right to appeal the decision. The expelled Member may appeal the decision by submitting a written request of appeal (“Notice of Appeal”) to the Executive Council within twenty (20) business days of its receipt of the Notice of Expulsion. The Executive Council shall hold an appeal hearing within twenty (20) business days of its receipt of the Notice of Appeal, and it is considered that the expelled Member renounces the right to appeal if the expelled Member does not appear at hearing.Thw expelled member shall be deemed to have waives his/her right to appeal if the expelled Member fails to appeal within the stipulated time frame.
Following the appeal hearing, the Executive Council’s ruling by a majority vote among the Executives then present, with fifty (50) percent of the Executives constituting a quorum, shall be final.
If the expelled Member is a Diamond Member, a Platinum Member, or a Corporate Member, the Executive Committee may demand the replacement of the infringing Accredited Representative of such Member with another Accredited Representative acceptable to the Executive Council as a precondition to the reinstatement of the expelled Member’s Membership.
5. The expelled Member shall not be entitled to a refund of all or part of the current fiscal year’s subscription, or to any claim of property interest in the assets of COA.
Article 4. Membership Rights
1. Only Diamond Members, Platinum Members, and Corporate Members in good standing shall be entitled to participate and vote in the General Meetings through their Accredited Representatives (“Member(s) Entitled to Vote”). Each Member Entitled to Vote shall be entitled to one (1) vote at the General Meetings, exercisable through its Accredited Representative.
2. Any Member in good standing may participate in all events organised by COA and is permitted to receive and benefit from all of the services and activities of COA.
Article 5. Responsibility of Members
1. Every Member shall contribute to the pursuit of the Stated Purpose of COA.
2. Every Member shall pay an annual subscription,as may be decided by the Events and Membership Committee, with the exception of Honorary Members who are exempted from subscription.
3. Except in the first year of Membership when the subscription is due upon admission as a Member, the subscription shall be paid in full within sixty (60) days of the beginning of each fiscal year thereafter.